Skip to main content

Should I do an audiobook?




Recently I shared with you that I have provided my book as an audio product. This seems like a great opportunity for authors to provide more opportunities for their readers. 

Having multiple book formats gives you, the author, more flexibility and sources of potential income. Audiobooks seem to be a very good way to meet a growing market demand as well as provide a revenue source for authors.

Before I began my audible journey, I was very reluctant. I wasn't really sure anyone wanted to listen to boring security books. I figured that they wanted hardcover and paperback products. So, for many years I published most of my books in print only.

Here's where I talk about what I learned at a recent conference again. Yep, it was there they convinced me to put my books out on Amazon Kindle. I decided to put them to the test. It was tough formatting my books for Kindle, but I stuck with it and for the last few months I have put my books into Kindle, rewrote book descriptions, updated covers and created ads for each book on Amazon. So, the results were many, many more sales.  Proving my original publishing theory wrong; thus losing some years of potential book sales loss.

So I reflected on this as I pondered the question, "should I put out an audio book?"

So, I dug in and did more research (I do need a break from all of it one day). Once convinced that it could work, I decided to launch my newest security book "Insider's Guide to Security Clearances" as an audiobook. I figured, if this type of book could sell, then maybe I'll do it for my other books.

So, two days into the first promotion, I have six sales. That's a pretty good return so far as I usually only sell about six print and kindle copies in a month. So, logic tells me to continue with other books.

A few details. there are many paths to audio, but I chose to use AudibleACX since they work closely with Amazon. I had two decisions to make initially:

Narrate the book myself
Request narrators through their audition channel
I chose to audition narrators. 

Then I had another decision to make:

Pay a flat fee of $90 - $120 per hour ($350 total for my book)
Share royalties with the narrator for many years
I like to have control over my book, so I chose the flat fee option.

After that, I submitted my complete manuscript (same one I sent for Kindle) and waited and waited. 

Finally the book was complete and ready as an audiobook on Amazon, and you know the rest.

One more thing. Now I am working on my second audiobook for the exciting, page turning, heart pounding book, How to Win Government Contracts and Perform on Classified Work. This time I am choosing to narrate it myself. Someone said they like to hear the author narrate, so I'm going to give it a try. I'd really prefer to pay a professional to do it, but here I go. 

Whether or not I actually use my own voice, I am learning a new benefit from this exercise. Reading my book out loud helps me with the final edit. So, even though I thought my book was ready, narrating the story helps me with better re-write.

If you'd like to see my book as it appears as an audiobook, please click the Link below. 

https://www.audible.com/pd/B08CM1J836/?source_code=AUDFPWS0223189MWT-BK-ACX0-205102&ref=acx_bty_BK_ACX0_205102_rh_us


I hope this has been helpful to you and wish you the best of success in your writing and publishing.

Jeffrey W. Bennett, ISP is the owner of Red Bike Publishing. Jeff is an accomplished writer of non-fiction books, novels and periodicals. He also owns Red bike Publishing. Published books include: "Get Rich in a Niche-Insider's Guide to Self Publishing in a Specialized Industry" and "Commitment-A Novel". Jeff is an expert in security and has written many security books including: "Insider's Guide to Security Clearances" and "DoD Security Clearances and Contracts Guidebook".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How will you publish your book

  You can publish your book yourself, or publish with others. There are so many options available depending on how much work you want to put into the process. Writing a book is a great experience that can help you further your business opportunities. Publishing with it’s many requirements and resources could prove to be more work than you want to do, especially if writing is not our primary business.   Self-publishing provides an increasingly valuable method of getting information to your audience. With self-publishing, you can write, outsource the printing, and market your book while controlling the process. This type of publishing can be done with very little money up front and, if done right, creates a great source of revenue. If you plan to self-publish, you will need some basic items and information. Books should have copyright protection and each book sold through distribution channels will need International Standard Book Numbers (ISBN). However, with Kindle Direct Publishing (K

Self-Publishers, Pay Attention to Detail

CreateSpace is an excellent self-publishing solution. I primarily use Lightning Source for most of my publishing needs, but there are some advantages of printing with CreateSpace as well. Primarily, books are listed “in stock” at Amazon.com and CreateSpace stores if printed with CreateSpace. My Lightning Source books are available on Amazon.com but usually not listed “in stock”. Thus, I often make my books available for print with both Lightning Source and CreateSpace. If you chose to use one or the other, or both, make sure your title information, ISBN and other book administrative details are accurate and listed the same in both venues. Without that level of detail, your book manuscript and cover submissions may not be approved. Additionally, if you try to link your printed book with an Amazon.com Kindle version, or your paperback with your hardback version, it may prove difficult if title information details vary too greatly. For example, my manuscript is entitled Red Bike Publis

LCCN, PCN or CIP? How to Catalog Your Self-Published book

Catalog options mentioned here are available only to United States  (US) publishers with offices and staff in the US who are available to answer  bibliographic questions about their books. The Library of Congress  Control Number (LCCN) Catalog in Publication (CIP) are two  well known catalog systems. The CIP provides free distribution of prepublished and further distribution of completely published books to libraries  and book vendors world-wide. The PCN provides an abbreviated  record but is not further disseminated to libraries on the same scale  as the CIP. Here is a secret. This book is primarily written for nonfiction authors  who want to self-publish a professional book available to specialized  organizations or professionals. It will most likely be available through  Amazon.com and other on-line bookstores and distributors. This is  the widest distribution effort and your best marketing source. You will  most likely use print on demand and rely on word of mouth, social ne