Skip to main content

Should Authors Use Paid Advertising or Free Internet Opportunities?


Which works better, paid advertising or free internet opportunities? I still think (and have the numbers to back it up) that informative and attractive blogs provide the best marketing for your book. After all, you are the expert on your book and who else better to talk about your book than you.
I recently ran an experiment with LinkedIn and Facebook. If you’ve read Get Rich in a Niche, you might remember that I loathe advertising. Against my better judgment I reluctantly decided to once again pay to advertise my books and publishing company.
Using Facebook, I created four ads; three for books and one for Red Bike Publishing. Each ad is a pay per click ad and I set my limit to $10.00 a day. I gave each ad a max of a $100 limit before pausing it. I also limited my ads’ exposure to demographics likely to buy my book.
For example, for my security clearance books, I set the ads to be visible for 22-55 years old and/or small business owners and/or professionals with technical backgrounds and living in the US. For my novel, I set it for women 18 and older, with interests in novels, eBooks and Christian Fiction.  I tailored each ad with carefully selected demographics.
I could tell the ads were enticing as I received many clicks. As a result, I saw my bill running higher and higher, but no sales. The ads rang up costs with no return on investment. You might argue that the audience did not like the link they clicked on and I would agree with you.  The point being, it is incredibly hard to advertise niche books to the general public. The public might not understand what they are clicking on until they click. If they buy great. If they don’t, you’re out a buck fifty. The ads provide just enough room for a sentence or two, not enough to really understand the product. Once they click, they can read more and either buy or move on.
Let’s dig further. I went to Google Analytics to see how these ads were performing. Proving my point, I could see that though the audience clicked on my links to see the books, they did not buy.  Now I really my advertising budget is going down the drain pretty quickly.
So, what does work? My blogs of course. Looking back at Google Analytics, I see that all online sales were a result of referrals from my blogs. Out of the thousands of sales annually, I can tell you none came from advertising.  That’s why I’ve rarely advertises unless to a specific industry related niche newsletter.
You can see more about making good use of your blogs @ http://redbikepublishing.blogspot.com/2012/04/blogs-great-way-to-connect.html


Jeffrey W. Bennett, ISP is the owner of Red Bike Publishing. Jeff is an accomplished writer of non-fiction books, novels and periodicals. He also owns Red bike Publishing. Published books include: "Get Rich in a Niche-Insider's Guide to Self Publishing in a Specialized Industry" and "Commitment-A Novel". Jeff is an expert in security and has written many security books including: "Insider's Guide to Security Clearances" and "DoD Security Clearances and Contracts Guidebook". See Red Bike Publishing for print copies of: Army Leadership The Ranger Handbook The Army Physical Readiness Manual Drill and Ceremonies The ITAR The NISPOM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How will you publish your book

  You can publish your book yourself, or publish with others. There are so many options available depending on how much work you want to put into the process. Writing a book is a great experience that can help you further your business opportunities. Publishing with it’s many requirements and resources could prove to be more work than you want to do, especially if writing is not our primary business.   Self-publishing provides an increasingly valuable method of getting information to your audience. With self-publishing, you can write, outsource the printing, and market your book while controlling the process. This type of publishing can be done with very little money up front and, if done right, creates a great source of revenue. If you plan to self-publish, you will need some basic items and information. Books should have copyright protection and each book sold through distribution channels will need International Standard Book Numbers (ISBN). However, with Kindle Direct Publishing (K

LCCN, PCN or CIP? How to Catalog Your Self-Published book

Catalog options mentioned here are available only to United States  (US) publishers with offices and staff in the US who are available to answer  bibliographic questions about their books. The Library of Congress  Control Number (LCCN) Catalog in Publication (CIP) are two  well known catalog systems. The CIP provides free distribution of prepublished and further distribution of completely published books to libraries  and book vendors world-wide. The PCN provides an abbreviated  record but is not further disseminated to libraries on the same scale  as the CIP. Here is a secret. This book is primarily written for nonfiction authors  who want to self-publish a professional book available to specialized  organizations or professionals. It will most likely be available through  Amazon.com and other on-line bookstores and distributors. This is  the widest distribution effort and your best marketing source. You will  most likely use print on demand and rely on word of mouth, social ne

Self-Publishers, Pay Attention to Detail

CreateSpace is an excellent self-publishing solution. I primarily use Lightning Source for most of my publishing needs, but there are some advantages of printing with CreateSpace as well. Primarily, books are listed “in stock” at Amazon.com and CreateSpace stores if printed with CreateSpace. My Lightning Source books are available on Amazon.com but usually not listed “in stock”. Thus, I often make my books available for print with both Lightning Source and CreateSpace. If you chose to use one or the other, or both, make sure your title information, ISBN and other book administrative details are accurate and listed the same in both venues. Without that level of detail, your book manuscript and cover submissions may not be approved. Additionally, if you try to link your printed book with an Amazon.com Kindle version, or your paperback with your hardback version, it may prove difficult if title information details vary too greatly. For example, my manuscript is entitled Red Bike Publis