Skip to main content

Niche Authors and Publishers can build online classes


 

What I love about my specialized market is that customers are hungry for knowledge. Many seek me out because of the articles I’ve written and the local training I give. My newsletters, blogs, website, and social networking posts all point to the different methods I use for helping others understand our industry. For example, when I teach my classes at night school, I post the topic to my blog.

For the sake of clarification, I will refer to online classes as information that you provide for customers to download or subscribe to. I use both methods. These are not generally live, interactive events, but just great downloadable information. Online classes can be presentations with a script read by a narrator or simply something the student will read or lead on their own.

I have used website development tools to create my own classes at BennettInstitute.com.  I used my book material to develop classes and create content. I record my classes using Zoom, upload them to video hosting site like Vimeo and assemble into classes on my website.  In fact, one of the appealing and common features is the ability to sue PowerPoint presentations and make videos of myself presenting the information. 

I also offer PowerPoint presentations of required security training. In my niche, there is a requirement for employees to take mandatory training. Organizations are inspected on whether or not the training is conducted. People who are new to the business desire education material that they can use to formulate their training.

I like to provide training in three methods. The first is training that my audience can download and brief to their clients. The script is already written and I give them the option of tailoring the script to meet their needs. The second option is to provide the presentations for their clients to study on their own. This self paced training still meets the requirements and frees my customer’s time. Again, these reflect the work I’ve already created in my writings. The third method is to provide the training in email form. I send the presentation to the customer and they broadcast it through their email. This presentation cannot be tailored or altered. It is designed to provide a quiz, print a certificate, and notify my customer that the training was conducted.

Going back to my passion to teach security professionals how to study for the security certification, I am happy to offer a course in exam preparation. I give students an idea of how the test is conducted and how they can focus their study time to pass the test. The great thing with the certification is that it is based on an open book exam. The certification owner requires that students meet certain prerequisites. Certification candidates must have worked in the industry for five years and should perform at least 10% of their work time on the test topic. This is important because I can design a test preparation training that I know only experts will take. Absolute beginners are disqualified from taking the exam. 

What does that mean to me? I can design a study aid that helps build my customers’ confidence. I am not teaching them something that they don’t know, I’m just reinforcing their knowledge. I do this by showing them how to find answers in the resources available to them. The test is challenging, however I build their confidence and make them more apt to take the exam. I’ve helped many get certified who may have not otherwise taken the exam.

Additionally I started a new website called BennettInstitute.com. I’ve recorded classes for both the security and book based business niches. I get to provide best-selling training that helps students get ahead in their security careers. I also teach authors and publishers about starting book based businesses.  I notify my newsletter subscribers when I launch new training. Visit BennettInstitute.com to see an example of courses.

Some of you have other writing talents. At any rate, find the work you love, while helping someone else deliver a great product. There is a lot you can do with your writing. If you need assistance with book ideas or business ideas, check out book based business incubator or our book Get Rich in a Niche.

 

Jeffrey W. Bennett, ISP is the owner of Red Bike Publishing. Jeff is an accomplished writer of non-fiction books, novels and periodicals. He also owns Red bike Publishing. Published books include: "Get Rich in a Niche-Insider's Guide to Self Publishing in a Specialized Industry" and "Commitment-A Novel". Jeff is an expert in security and has written many security books including: "Insider's Guide to Security Clearances" and "DoD Security Clearances and Contracts Guidebook".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How will you publish your book

  You can publish your book yourself, or publish with others. There are so many options available depending on how much work you want to put into the process. Writing a book is a great experience that can help you further your business opportunities. Publishing with it’s many requirements and resources could prove to be more work than you want to do, especially if writing is not our primary business.   Self-publishing provides an increasingly valuable method of getting information to your audience. With self-publishing, you can write, outsource the printing, and market your book while controlling the process. This type of publishing can be done with very little money up front and, if done right, creates a great source of revenue. If you plan to self-publish, you will need some basic items and information. Books should have copyright protection and each book sold through distribution channels will need International Standard Book Numbers (ISBN). However, with Kindle Direct Publishing (K

LCCN, PCN or CIP? How to Catalog Your Self-Published book

Catalog options mentioned here are available only to United States  (US) publishers with offices and staff in the US who are available to answer  bibliographic questions about their books. The Library of Congress  Control Number (LCCN) Catalog in Publication (CIP) are two  well known catalog systems. The CIP provides free distribution of prepublished and further distribution of completely published books to libraries  and book vendors world-wide. The PCN provides an abbreviated  record but is not further disseminated to libraries on the same scale  as the CIP. Here is a secret. This book is primarily written for nonfiction authors  who want to self-publish a professional book available to specialized  organizations or professionals. It will most likely be available through  Amazon.com and other on-line bookstores and distributors. This is  the widest distribution effort and your best marketing source. You will  most likely use print on demand and rely on word of mouth, social ne

Self-Publishers, Pay Attention to Detail

CreateSpace is an excellent self-publishing solution. I primarily use Lightning Source for most of my publishing needs, but there are some advantages of printing with CreateSpace as well. Primarily, books are listed “in stock” at Amazon.com and CreateSpace stores if printed with CreateSpace. My Lightning Source books are available on Amazon.com but usually not listed “in stock”. Thus, I often make my books available for print with both Lightning Source and CreateSpace. If you chose to use one or the other, or both, make sure your title information, ISBN and other book administrative details are accurate and listed the same in both venues. Without that level of detail, your book manuscript and cover submissions may not be approved. Additionally, if you try to link your printed book with an Amazon.com Kindle version, or your paperback with your hardback version, it may prove difficult if title information details vary too greatly. For example, my manuscript is entitled Red Bike Publis