Skip to main content

4 Steps to Becoming a World Class Writer

Chances are that you are already gainfully employed and are involved with other life matters. You are probably considering following both your dream of writing and owning your own business. You’ve probably
explored both, but hesitate because it really doesn’t make sense to take on another job while spending 40 hours a week of your life being miserable. So, do something you love in your professional and personal
lives. The same goes for the business you want to start.

Passion is hard to define, so I’ll draw up a scene from what got me started:

“I have a great idea that will help other people earn the certification!” I exclaimed to my wife, almost immediately after telling some great news.
“Wait a minute, let’s get back to the certification,” my wife replied, redirecting the conversation. “You passed the exam?” Her smile demonstrated how happy she had been for me.
“Thanks. Sorry about changing the subject,” I replied. “I know that you were pulling for me.” I hugged my wife one more time before continuing. “It’s just that I passed it so easily. It’s not that I’m so smart, but I
was able to find the answers so quickly and I think I can help other people do it. I can make a difference in someone’s life.”

So, exactly what is passion?

1.  Conduct an inventory-For me, it was two-fold; a desire to write and a strong urge to teach. Both of these skills I had learned on the job and through discovering more about myself. Conduct a personal inventory and see what you love to do.

2.  What skill, ability, or personal success really excites you-What do you just love doing that you can spend a lot of time with and you don't even watch the clock? Is it reading, helping, designing, running, creating? Find out what it is and learn to develop and teach that skill to others.

3.  Develop a platform-This is the key ingredient. Become the go to person for that skill and let everyone know about it.

4.  Focus on what you learned about yourself. Lack passion and lack of really knowing what I had wanted to do will hinder your dreams.

Using my example, let me continue:
I spent a lot of time developing my passion of writing. though I knew I loved writing, noone is going to be too interested in ramblings. I had to focus on a topic or skill to match my passion of writing with.

Not too long ago, I had left a lengthy career in the army. While in service, I had served in intelligence, transportation and wrapped up my career in recruiting. By far the most difficult but rewarding had been
my service as a recruiter. Tell a soldier to take a hill in the heat of battle and they’ll do it and exceed whatever standards you give. However, tell them to successfully encourage people to volunteer to leave everything
they know to become a soldier...that’s a tougher task. Army recruiting is where I learned about real marketing.

Prior to my departure from the army I had bought and read all of the books I could on marketing, sales, interviewing and resume writing. Almost everything I had read revealed the same message: Find something
you are good at and do it. Once I left the army I spent a few months pondering my future and reading more books. I enrolled in a class on how to start my own businesses. Aside from learning how to develop business plans, we heard presentations from successful business owners.

Again, the message was clear: Find something you enjoy and do it. However, this time the message hit home. I met many local business owners who poured all their efforts into something they enjoyed.

After passing that exam, I knew I could help others. I became a man on fire, writing my first best selling book in the national security genre.

Let's wrap up.

  • I love writing
  • I learned about marketing
  • I learned about security
  • I passed an exam
  • I love helping others
I took what I love and used it to teach what I had learned to fulfill a dream.

So, what gets you going?


Jeffrey W. Bennett, ISP is the owner of Red Bike Publishing. Jeff is an accomplished writer of non-fiction books, novels and periodicals. He also owns Red bike Publishing. Published books include: "Get Rich in a Niche-Insider's Guide to Self Publishing in a Specialized Industry" and "Commitment-A Novel". Jeff is an expert in security and has written many security books including: "Insider's Guide to Security Clearances" and "DoD Security Clearances and Contracts Guidebook". See Red Bike Publishing for print copies of: Army Leadership The Ranger Handbook The Army Physical Readiness Manual Drill and Ceremonies The ITAR The NISPOM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Ways to Build Credibility By Teaching a Course

Residence classes This is a real opportunity to build credentials and create a real academic presence. Traditional education opportunities are solid and recognized ways to get your message out. Teaching provides a return on investment but takes hard work and persistence to get started. Also there are two different avenues. You can host these classes yourself, or you can get them sponsored. Host the Residence Class Yourself Just like self publishing you can control the product. You have the freedom to create and do not need to seek approval from anyone to get started. You choose to set up the class time, the material, the advertising, and everything else you need to start a successful course. It also means that you have to bring in the resources yourself. For a residence class, you will need a classroom or similar environment, curriculum, projector, screen, training aids, certificates and supplies. There is a terrific possib...

The best way to publish your book (In my opinion)

You know how there are so many book publishing options? I help authors publish their final manuscripts by helping them take control of their work. After writing and publishing many, many books, I have come to the conclusion that publishing and managing books on Amazon is currently the best option and for a few very good reasons: It is free to publish your books on Amazon. As a publisher, I've used many print and publishing services, and Amazon is the only one that I'm aware of that will let you upload and publish for free. You can publish an ebook, a paperback, and an audio book. Since it's free, you can update book content and covers any time. It's almost instant.. You want a new cover? Upload it Need to correct an error or update book content? Upload it All you need is an amazon account and you are capable of being a publisher. It's really all there is to it. Your publisher account is tied to your amazon account Your author page is tied to your a...

Using a book to promote your business and vice versa.

A book is a great way to start a business, develop a business or market a business. Many people struggle with what to focus on as a book topic or a business.  They wonder what they should write about, what business they should focus on, how to market the book or the business, where to start, and how to grow. Perhaps this is your journey. If so welcome to the club. One of the most difficult tasks is settling on a topic, niche or business idea. It's important to understand where your expertise lies and how to reach others with your solution. I've always been an advocate of teaching and writing and learned there lies the core of my potential business competency. I wrote my first book on the subject of teaching others how to prepare for a certification. Whether you already have a business, want to learn how to start a business, or have a book, it's important to learn how to market your capability. I always say that one of the best ways to start a newsletter appropriate for your...