Skip to main content

World Class Publishing


I love to watch the Olympics and see how Team USA performs against the rest of the world. While watching the international competition, I not only celebrate with the champions, but I tend to look at how they became successful.

The simple answer is that competition is just another step in the journey. The athletes didn’t just wake up and perform spectacular feats; they incorporate winning performance into their daily rituals. They became world class athletes based on conditioning, determination and dedication spun from plans, goals and dreams. If an athlete breaks records or fails to qualify, the success or failure isn’t the onetime performance, but the milestones that led them there. They didn’t just wake up as champions, they prepared.

Champions also exist in business. Again, they just don’t wake up as winners; they prepare to win. Their ideas are more contagious than others. They influence major decision makers. They set milestones that mark waypoints to success.

Self publishers and authors are no different. Just as a world class athlete performs to win; the small business manager demonstrates world class publishing. These champions impact the publishing world, generate buy in and sales, and change industries with their writings.

These winners exhibit these two characteristics of successful publishing:

1. Tie-in books, sales and marketing with the their goals and mission statement

Successful leaders don’t limit themselves to busy work or focus on individual tasks. For example, they focus priorities on supporting the company’s mission instead of touting success with busy work such as the amount of words they type. They ensure their words and work ethic demonstrates values stated in the mission statement and can be supported by business plans.

2. Demonstrate value of books to the ability to influence the niche industry they write for.

The first step is to understand the needs of the industry and how to meet those needs.   The proactive publisher and author researches issues, conducts interviews, becomes involved in professional organizations and anything else needed to clearly understand customer needs and writing opportunities. Without the proper understanding the author/publisher will not be able to properly advise and guide.

Providing a product for the niche industry is not just a job for the publishing company and author; it should be integrated into the industry culture. When those involved with the industry speak highly of the books they buy, everyone wins. To do this the publisher has to demonstrate his function’s value.

3. Develop publishing policies that are supported and enforced from the top down.
Policies only work when they are owned and supported at the highest levels. Take for example what happens in large companies. In processing by human resources, helpdesk requests by the IT department or accident reporting by safety. Those policies are some of the most effective and successful because they have been vetted and accepted by the entire organization. Along with the policies are well published procedures identifying what and how execute and tie it to the mission.

Success in any organization is not an overnight accomplishment. Just as the athlete trains to become the world’s best, publishers should perform daily to become champions in their industry. The key is creating publishing goals and demonstrating how they support the industry’s mission. Create buy in of those goals and communicate goals regularly. 



Jeffrey W. Bennett, ISP is the owner of Red Bike Publishing. Jeff is an accomplished writer of non-fiction books, novels and periodicals. He also owns Red bike Publishing. Published books include: "Get Rich in a Niche-Insider's Guide to Self Publishing in a Specialized Industry" and "Commitment-A Novel". Jeff is an expert in security and has written many security books including: "Insider's Guide to Security Clearances" and "DoD Security Clearances and Contracts Guidebook". See Red Bike Publishing for print copies of: Army Leadership The Ranger Handbook The Army Physical Readiness Manual Drill and Ceremonies The ITAR The NISPOM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Ways to Build Credibility By Teaching a Course

Residence classes This is a real opportunity to build credentials and create a real academic presence. Traditional education opportunities are solid and recognized ways to get your message out. Teaching provides a return on investment but takes hard work and persistence to get started. Also there are two different avenues. You can host these classes yourself, or you can get them sponsored. Host the Residence Class Yourself Just like self publishing you can control the product. You have the freedom to create and do not need to seek approval from anyone to get started. You choose to set up the class time, the material, the advertising, and everything else you need to start a successful course. It also means that you have to bring in the resources yourself. For a residence class, you will need a classroom or similar environment, curriculum, projector, screen, training aids, certificates and supplies. There is a terrific possib...

The best way to publish your book (In my opinion)

You know how there are so many book publishing options? I help authors publish their final manuscripts by helping them take control of their work. After writing and publishing many, many books, I have come to the conclusion that publishing and managing books on Amazon is currently the best option and for a few very good reasons: It is free to publish your books on Amazon. As a publisher, I've used many print and publishing services, and Amazon is the only one that I'm aware of that will let you upload and publish for free. You can publish an ebook, a paperback, and an audio book. Since it's free, you can update book content and covers any time. It's almost instant.. You want a new cover? Upload it Need to correct an error or update book content? Upload it All you need is an amazon account and you are capable of being a publisher. It's really all there is to it. Your publisher account is tied to your amazon account Your author page is tied to your a...

Should I do an audiobook?

Recently I shared with you that I have provided my book as an audio product. This seems like a great opportunity for authors to provide more opportunities for their readers.  Having multiple book formats gives you, the author, more flexibility and sources of potential income. Audiobooks seem to be a very good way to meet a growing market demand as well as provide a revenue source for authors. Before I began my audible journey, I was very reluctant. I wasn't really sure anyone wanted to listen to boring security books. I figured that they wanted hardcover and paperback products. So, for many years I published most of my books in print only. Here's where I talk about what I learned at a recent conference again. Yep, it was there they convinced me to put my books out on Amazon Kindle. I decided to put them to the test. It was tough formatting my books for Kindle, but I stuck with it and for the last few months I have put my books into Kindle, rewrote book descriptions...