Skip to main content

On the Run

  


     Jason backed into one of the boxes hard, receiving a good poke in the kidneys. He stood involuntarily erect with pain, and stifled a cry of protest and curses.
     “Jason, I’m scared,” Cora whimpered. “I want to get out of here.” She saw Jason respond with an increasing nervousness. He looked like he would rather be doing anything else.
     “I’m still working on it. It’s not going as quickly as you would like.” Cora heard the man in the lab coat protest.
     “Mr. Evans wants something done now. If you don’t produce, he gets upset. When he gets upset, I get angry. I like being angry, but you won’t like it at all.”
     Cora’s jaw dropped open as the men continued to argue. She looked to Jason for clarification, but his wide-eyed stare  showed nothing but horror.
     They backed away from the doors, but the men’s loud shouting continued. Cora reached for Jason’s hand. At that same moment, Lab Coat backed hard into the doors. He turned away from his tormentor, left cheek pressed against the Plexiglas.
     “Wait,” they heard Lab Coat beg as he motioned and repositioned himself to better look through the window. They saw him bring both hands over his eyes to reduce the glare of light reflecting off the glass. “I think I just saw something in there.”
     Jason and Cora remained still and quiet.
     “Let’s get out of here,” Jason begged. “It’s really time to go.”
     Cora’s senses screamed for them to move, to do something, anything. Her heart pounded at the sight of the face leering through the window, lingering and searching. White skin, neatly cropped black hair, on a square and glasses- framed face was one she may have seen before. Though Lab Coat looked a little familiar, she definitely recognized Business Suit.
     “Get out of the way,” they heard the other bark as he plowed through the doors. The right door banged loudly off one of the boxes in the storage area, then swung lazily back to the closed position on hissing gas hinges. Mr. Suit stood still, waiting for his eyes to adjust to the dark as he breathed loudly with excitement.
     “Run!” Jason screamed.
     Cora followed swiftly, her hand in his. She let him lead her toward the light shining from the other side of an exit door.          They ran with the illusion of the distance growing instead of closing.


Want more? See our book Devoted
http://www.amazon.com/Devoted-Jeffrey-W-Benne…/…/B015HTZW1K/



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Ways to Build Credibility By Teaching a Course

Residence classes This is a real opportunity to build credentials and create a real academic presence. Traditional education opportunities are solid and recognized ways to get your message out. Teaching provides a return on investment but takes hard work and persistence to get started. Also there are two different avenues. You can host these classes yourself, or you can get them sponsored. Host the Residence Class Yourself Just like self publishing you can control the product. You have the freedom to create and do not need to seek approval from anyone to get started. You choose to set up the class time, the material, the advertising, and everything else you need to start a successful course. It also means that you have to bring in the resources yourself. For a residence class, you will need a classroom or similar environment, curriculum, projector, screen, training aids, certificates and supplies. There is a terrific possib...

The best way to publish your book (In my opinion)

You know how there are so many book publishing options? I help authors publish their final manuscripts by helping them take control of their work. After writing and publishing many, many books, I have come to the conclusion that publishing and managing books on Amazon is currently the best option and for a few very good reasons: It is free to publish your books on Amazon. As a publisher, I've used many print and publishing services, and Amazon is the only one that I'm aware of that will let you upload and publish for free. You can publish an ebook, a paperback, and an audio book. Since it's free, you can update book content and covers any time. It's almost instant.. You want a new cover? Upload it Need to correct an error or update book content? Upload it All you need is an amazon account and you are capable of being a publisher. It's really all there is to it. Your publisher account is tied to your amazon account Your author page is tied to your a...

Should I do an audiobook?

Recently I shared with you that I have provided my book as an audio product. This seems like a great opportunity for authors to provide more opportunities for their readers.  Having multiple book formats gives you, the author, more flexibility and sources of potential income. Audiobooks seem to be a very good way to meet a growing market demand as well as provide a revenue source for authors. Before I began my audible journey, I was very reluctant. I wasn't really sure anyone wanted to listen to boring security books. I figured that they wanted hardcover and paperback products. So, for many years I published most of my books in print only. Here's where I talk about what I learned at a recent conference again. Yep, it was there they convinced me to put my books out on Amazon Kindle. I decided to put them to the test. It was tough formatting my books for Kindle, but I stuck with it and for the last few months I have put my books into Kindle, rewrote book descriptions...