Skip to main content

It's Shocking what these Christian Authors are Doing

Prominent Christian authors and publishers are doing some incredible marketing. They understand and execute corporate marketing that independent authors and publishers are struggling with; relevant and expansive platforms to sell their books and services. The relevant platforms are information laden conferences; articles with captivating titles that engage readers, classes, blogs, and social media postings. They are selling books, but to the untrained eye, are not selling books.

Let me explain. Where many authors fail, big name and successful authors are increasing in influence. They do this by addressing current issues and encouraging conversation. This in turn generates a buzz and the message gets forwarded many times over. Of course these big name authors have access to more mainstream communications, but this lesson can be adapted by struggling authors in niche fields.

For example more direct and overt marketing efforts are shared by inexperienced authors who don't engage an audience but only post book rank status, online points of sale, and other blatant pleas for readers to buy their books. However, marketing books is a more subtle art.

Many social media posts that are liked, shared, re-tweeted, commented on and forwarded are those with compelling titles, relevant to popular discussion, and informative. Though the marketing is subtle, the message is compelling. Someone reads the article, likes it, and forwards it, starting the viral process.

You may have seen such viral Christian posts as readers engage in conversations about topics the rest of the world never knew were an issue.
Issues such as the following are very timely and shared many times over:

These titles are compelling and some are even bait and switch. For example, the article "A Word of Advice for A Porn Addicted Husband" is not so much about porn addiction than it is about the author's engaging the audience in a conversation of the Biblically submissive wife. In Sara Horn's article, she quickly shifts the discussion from the porn addiction to the conversation of what it means to be a submissive wife. The article is very compelling and soon connects with (the author) book, My So-Called Life as a Submissive Wife.

The lesson; provide an engaging article that launches your book, but is not necessarily about your book. Just as Horn did with her article in a major Christian media outlet, she covered a popular topic, gave topical information, and earned credibility as a published author. Guess what? Sales are following.

Christians want to encourage each other to live more Christ like lives and these authors are definitely engaging and encouraging with good ideas and discussion.
They also introduce their expertise on subjects and books that the reader may find useful as they relate to the topics.

As a very small niche author and owner of an even smaller publishing company, my major source of marketing is writing articles, blogs, and newsletters. I have managed to gain influence in a security niche and am rapidly gaining popularity as a mud runner and obstacle racing author. I launch an article with a compelling titles, relevant information, and establish myself as an expert by mentioning my book. You can see examples here:


So, what can you do in your niche? How can you use relevant topics and current events to generate discussion? Once you figure that out, you are on your way to becoming a niche expert and therefore good marketing for your book.

Jeffrey W. Bennett is an author and publisher with Red Bike Publishing. See more at www.redbikepublishing.com



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Ways to Build Credibility By Teaching a Course

Residence classes This is a real opportunity to build credentials and create a real academic presence. Traditional education opportunities are solid and recognized ways to get your message out. Teaching provides a return on investment but takes hard work and persistence to get started. Also there are two different avenues. You can host these classes yourself, or you can get them sponsored. Host the Residence Class Yourself Just like self publishing you can control the product. You have the freedom to create and do not need to seek approval from anyone to get started. You choose to set up the class time, the material, the advertising, and everything else you need to start a successful course. It also means that you have to bring in the resources yourself. For a residence class, you will need a classroom or similar environment, curriculum, projector, screen, training aids, certificates and supplies. There is a terrific possib...

The best way to publish your book (In my opinion)

You know how there are so many book publishing options? I help authors publish their final manuscripts by helping them take control of their work. After writing and publishing many, many books, I have come to the conclusion that publishing and managing books on Amazon is currently the best option and for a few very good reasons: It is free to publish your books on Amazon. As a publisher, I've used many print and publishing services, and Amazon is the only one that I'm aware of that will let you upload and publish for free. You can publish an ebook, a paperback, and an audio book. Since it's free, you can update book content and covers any time. It's almost instant.. You want a new cover? Upload it Need to correct an error or update book content? Upload it All you need is an amazon account and you are capable of being a publisher. It's really all there is to it. Your publisher account is tied to your amazon account Your author page is tied to your a...

Should I do an audiobook?

Recently I shared with you that I have provided my book as an audio product. This seems like a great opportunity for authors to provide more opportunities for their readers.  Having multiple book formats gives you, the author, more flexibility and sources of potential income. Audiobooks seem to be a very good way to meet a growing market demand as well as provide a revenue source for authors. Before I began my audible journey, I was very reluctant. I wasn't really sure anyone wanted to listen to boring security books. I figured that they wanted hardcover and paperback products. So, for many years I published most of my books in print only. Here's where I talk about what I learned at a recent conference again. Yep, it was there they convinced me to put my books out on Amazon Kindle. I decided to put them to the test. It was tough formatting my books for Kindle, but I stuck with it and for the last few months I have put my books into Kindle, rewrote book descriptions...