Skip to main content

Five steps you need to know to help build your platform; all for free

     The best marketing is free. You can generate a buzz about you and your books or products using these five steps. These steps help produce impact full results and increase sales. They won’t cost you anything and are the core ingredients to viral marketing.
  • Develop spinoff products-If you already have a book in any form whether conceptual, unfinished, in production or out of print, you have a platform for spinoff products. These products can be related T-shirts, stickers, follow on books, study cards, training slides and much more. Download our spinoff tip generator to help you use your existing or future product to create more opportunities.
  • Speak and teach-People are hungry for knowledge. If you’ve become an industry export, hobbyist or some sort of aficionado, you have something to teach. This is especially true when you’ve published. Whether with a traditional publisher or self-published, you’ve got a book out and you can teach at least two topics. Publishing gives you valuable information on your specialty topic and the writing and publishing process. Talk to your local college, school, professional organizations and town halls. See what opportunities you can create. Perhaps you can even consult in your niche.
  • Form alliances-Friends, businesses, organizations, and people in similar niches can be business multipliers. Form a partnership, share products, develop affiliate opportunities, give referrals, sell each other’s inventory and etc. Leverage relationships to help spread your product awareness.
  • Join organizations-Professionals tend to flock together. Join with organizations that compliment your business. There are many industries, organizations and groups that meet to socialize. These meetings can be locally or coordinated through social media like LinkedIn, Twitter or Facebook.
  • Get interviewed-There are a surprising number of small industry based organizations with newsletters, PODcasts, radio programs and other media who are dying for interview subjects. While major media may not cover your area of interest or expertise, there may be a micro organism with the reach and influence you need. If one doesn’t exist, create your own opportunity.
     You may have heard you need to make money to spend money. In many cases this is true. Authors spend money to create titles as factories spend money to create and offer more products. However never ignore opportunities to make money with free marketing techniques. Try these five steps and see what they can do for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Ways to Build Credibility By Teaching a Course

Residence classes This is a real opportunity to build credentials and create a real academic presence. Traditional education opportunities are solid and recognized ways to get your message out. Teaching provides a return on investment but takes hard work and persistence to get started. Also there are two different avenues. You can host these classes yourself, or you can get them sponsored. Host the Residence Class Yourself Just like self publishing you can control the product. You have the freedom to create and do not need to seek approval from anyone to get started. You choose to set up the class time, the material, the advertising, and everything else you need to start a successful course. It also means that you have to bring in the resources yourself. For a residence class, you will need a classroom or similar environment, curriculum, projector, screen, training aids, certificates and supplies. There is a terrific possib...

The best way to publish your book (In my opinion)

You know how there are so many book publishing options? I help authors publish their final manuscripts by helping them take control of their work. After writing and publishing many, many books, I have come to the conclusion that publishing and managing books on Amazon is currently the best option and for a few very good reasons: It is free to publish your books on Amazon. As a publisher, I've used many print and publishing services, and Amazon is the only one that I'm aware of that will let you upload and publish for free. You can publish an ebook, a paperback, and an audio book. Since it's free, you can update book content and covers any time. It's almost instant.. You want a new cover? Upload it Need to correct an error or update book content? Upload it All you need is an amazon account and you are capable of being a publisher. It's really all there is to it. Your publisher account is tied to your amazon account Your author page is tied to your a...

Should I do an audiobook?

Recently I shared with you that I have provided my book as an audio product. This seems like a great opportunity for authors to provide more opportunities for their readers.  Having multiple book formats gives you, the author, more flexibility and sources of potential income. Audiobooks seem to be a very good way to meet a growing market demand as well as provide a revenue source for authors. Before I began my audible journey, I was very reluctant. I wasn't really sure anyone wanted to listen to boring security books. I figured that they wanted hardcover and paperback products. So, for many years I published most of my books in print only. Here's where I talk about what I learned at a recent conference again. Yep, it was there they convinced me to put my books out on Amazon Kindle. I decided to put them to the test. It was tough formatting my books for Kindle, but I stuck with it and for the last few months I have put my books into Kindle, rewrote book descriptions...