Skip to main content

Stepping out of the ordinary-Developing innovative and no cost publicity

I stumbled across a great way to communicate with my audience; humor. Laughter makes us feel good and what a better way to teach than inject some opportunities to giggle, laugh or get crazy. There are a few ways to market other than just writing. I've been populating my blogs with video, cartoons and mock advise columns.

Take a look at these two blog posts for an example of videos you can shoot. http://www.redbikepublishing.blogspot.com/ if you scroll down, you will see a video called, Don't Be This Consultant. I filmed it to publicize Get Rich in a Niche.

The next video is called Zombie vs Ranger. I put this video together to sell the Ranger Handbook. I filmed both videos myself using my Droid II Verizon Motorola phone.

I also created a comic for my security niche. It speaks to some of the frustrations a security manager might experience. It helps create a bond between me and the customer. This bond could lead to more trust.



Next is an advise column (hopefully funny):. I wrote this to market the Army's Physical Readiness Training book. The advise has nothing to do with the question, but provides some comic releaf:

Dear Warrior Man,
These days, money is tight. Whenever I come home from a work travel event,my kids run up and greet me warmly. However, I know they are only looking for a present. We all have to do our part to save money and I can't afford to buy them presents everytime. How do I prepare them for this let them?
Signed
Traveling Blues

Dear Blues
The Rower exercise improves the ability to move in and out of the supine position to a seated posture. It coordinates the action of the trunk and extremities while challenging the abdominal muscles (Figure 6-62). Starting Position: Supine position, arms overhead and feet together, and pointing upward. The chin is tucked and the head is 1-2 inches above the ground. Arms are shoulder-width, palms facing inward, with fingers and thumbs extended and joined. Cadence: SLOW Count:
1. Sit up while swinging arms forward and bending at the hip and knees. At the end of the motion, the arms will be parallel to ground, palms facing inward. 
2. Return to the starting position. 
3. Repeat count 1. 
4. Return to the starting position.
Check Points: At the starting position, the low back must not be arched excessively off the ground. To prevent this, tighten the abdominal muscles to tilt the pelvis and low back toward the ground. At the end of counts 1 and 3, the feet are flat and pulled near the buttocks. The legs stay together throughout the exercise and the arms are parallel to the ground. Precautions: This exercise is always performed at a slow cadence. Do not arch the back to assume counts 1 and 3.

Hopefully these will spark some innavative ideas for you. If so, I'd love to hear about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Ways to Build Credibility By Teaching a Course

Residence classes This is a real opportunity to build credentials and create a real academic presence. Traditional education opportunities are solid and recognized ways to get your message out. Teaching provides a return on investment but takes hard work and persistence to get started. Also there are two different avenues. You can host these classes yourself, or you can get them sponsored. Host the Residence Class Yourself Just like self publishing you can control the product. You have the freedom to create and do not need to seek approval from anyone to get started. You choose to set up the class time, the material, the advertising, and everything else you need to start a successful course. It also means that you have to bring in the resources yourself. For a residence class, you will need a classroom or similar environment, curriculum, projector, screen, training aids, certificates and supplies. There is a terrific possib...

The best way to publish your book (In my opinion)

You know how there are so many book publishing options? I help authors publish their final manuscripts by helping them take control of their work. After writing and publishing many, many books, I have come to the conclusion that publishing and managing books on Amazon is currently the best option and for a few very good reasons: It is free to publish your books on Amazon. As a publisher, I've used many print and publishing services, and Amazon is the only one that I'm aware of that will let you upload and publish for free. You can publish an ebook, a paperback, and an audio book. Since it's free, you can update book content and covers any time. It's almost instant.. You want a new cover? Upload it Need to correct an error or update book content? Upload it All you need is an amazon account and you are capable of being a publisher. It's really all there is to it. Your publisher account is tied to your amazon account Your author page is tied to your a...

Should I do an audiobook?

Recently I shared with you that I have provided my book as an audio product. This seems like a great opportunity for authors to provide more opportunities for their readers.  Having multiple book formats gives you, the author, more flexibility and sources of potential income. Audiobooks seem to be a very good way to meet a growing market demand as well as provide a revenue source for authors. Before I began my audible journey, I was very reluctant. I wasn't really sure anyone wanted to listen to boring security books. I figured that they wanted hardcover and paperback products. So, for many years I published most of my books in print only. Here's where I talk about what I learned at a recent conference again. Yep, it was there they convinced me to put my books out on Amazon Kindle. I decided to put them to the test. It was tough formatting my books for Kindle, but I stuck with it and for the last few months I have put my books into Kindle, rewrote book descriptions...